(PERRY) - People had to evacuate their homes in Perry when the fire department told them about a gas leak. It happened in a residential area in the center of town.
A boring crew was digging into the ground to bury power lines when they hit a gas main.
Firefighters say the crew that marked the location of the gas main was eight inches off and that's why it got hit.
Five homes were evacuated out of precaution in case gas seeped into their basements.
MidAmerican crews are fixing the gas main. People in the neighborhood should be able to go back in their homes Tuesday evening.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.