Family receives free smoke alarm after fire

DES MOINES - A Des Moines family got more than just a trip from the fire department on Thursday. Fire crews are stressing the importance of fire safety during Fire Prevention Week. 

On Thursday, one family's basement laundry room started on fire. They didn't even know it at first because they didn't have a working smoke alarm. Now, they have one, thanks to fire crews. Firefighters are stressing that it's important to have more than just one.

"We want those on every floor of the home, outside the sleeping areas and in each bedroom and that's for that early notification, it gets people up, gets them moving,” said Des Moines Fire Department Chief Brian O'Keefe. 

For Fire Prevention Week, many metro area fire stations are opening their doors this weekend. They're inviting families to come in and learn more about fire safety.

The West Des Moines Fire Department is holding an Open House and Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser this Saturday, October 14, from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. The open house is free, but if you would like to take part in the pancake breakfast, it is $5 for adults, $3 for children and free for children 3-years-old and under. The event is located at 1401 Railroad Ave.

The Clive Fire Department is hosting an open house this Saturday, October 14, from 9 a.m. to noon. The event is located at 8505 Harbach Blvd. Both open houses will feature informative displays and activities for kids.
 


More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center