CENTRAL IOWA -- A nationwide issue is being recognized all over the country today (Aug. 4) in the annual National Night Out, a campaign designed to strengthen neighborhood and police partnerships.
There are many different events planned for National Night Out across Central Iowa and they are all open to the public. Law enforcement is asking community members to stop by, check out the free activities and simply mingle with your local police community.
Here are a few events going on in the area:
Ames – Stop by Bandshell Park, 125 E. Fifth St., from 5-8 p.m. for fun activities for people of all ages, including games from the Street 'N' Greet Block Party Trailer, a "Celebrity Dunk Tank," tours of a police car, fire truck and ambulance, and more.
A special feature this year will be an interactive demonstration of how to share the road with pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorists.
For more information and updates, visit the City of Ames website. www.cityofames.org
Urbandale – The Urbandale Police Department is hosting their 7th Annual National Night Out celebration from 5-7 p.m. at the department on 3740 NW 86th St.
One part of this celebration will be the final public demonstrations of K9 Sabre, who will be retiring this fall. The demonstrations are scheduled for 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. in the park directly west of the station. Sabre will also be receiving recognition during the awards presentations that follows the National Anthem at 6:00 p.m.
Des Moines – The 26th National Night Out event in Des Moines will be made up of several different events throughout the city. The Des Moines Police Department says they are concentrating on encouraging neighborhoods to hold block parties, special activities and turn on porch lights.
At this time, commitments for activities have been received from the following groups:
- Beaverdale Neighborhood: 6:00-8:00 PM, "Beaver Bend" - Snookies-Intersection of Beaver and 41st. Bounce house, clown, princess reading books, pony rides, hot dogs and Snookies ice cream.
- Broadway Heights Apartments: 4:00-6:00PM, 4216 NE 50th Street.
- Capitol East Neighborhood: 6:00-8:00PM. Ashfield Park (720 E 19th Street)
- Capitol Park Neighborhood: 6:00- 8:00 PM, Burke Park 601 E University,
- Cheatom Park, King-Irving, Mondamin-Presidential, Chautauqua, Good Park, And RiverBend Neighborhoods : 5:30-8:00PM. Good Park- 17th and University Ave. Music, food and games.
- Downtown Neighborhood, East Village Neighborhood: 5:30-8:00PM, Cowles Commons- 221 Walnut St. Food, local live music.
- Douglas Acres Neighborhood: 6:00-8:00PM, Euclid Room, 2540 E Euclid.
Hamburgers and hot dogs.
- Douglas Woods Apartments: 5:00-8:00PM, 2800 Douglas Ave.
- Drake and Drake Park Neighborhood Associations: 5:30-7:30PM, Drake Park- 2300 Drake Park. BBQ pork sandwiches, sides and drinks.
-Easter Lake Neighborhood: 6:00-8:00PM, Easter Lake Park Shelter #1 for a potluck. Easton Place United Methodist Church: 6:00-8:00PM, Easton Place United Methodist Church- 2412 Easton Blvd. Ice cream, singers and a magician.
- Fairground Neighborhood: 6:00-8:00 PM, Des Moines Fire Training Facility 2715 Dean Avenue. Food for everyone. Car show, clowns, prizes, train rides and dunk tank.
- Fairground Neighbors For Community Improvement: 6:00-7:30PM, VFW Post 738, 2801 Dean Avenue. Free picnic meal, treats for the kids, bounce house and door prizes.
- Fairmont Park Neighborhood: 6:00-8:00PM, Fairmont Park- E. 25th and Hull Ave.
Dance party, clowns making balloon animals, National Guard Humvee, Animal Rescue League.
- Grays Woods Neighborhood: 6:00-8:00PM, 1229 E. 35th Street. Old West theme. Pot luck with main dish provided.
- Highland Park Neighborhood: 6:30-8:00 PM, Harding School- Euclid and Cornell St. South of playground. Pizza and games for the kids.
-Indianola Hills And McKinley/Columbus Park Neighborhoods: 5:30-7:30PM, Columbus Park-1921 SE 1st St.
- Jacob's Place Apartments: 3:00-4:30PM, 2400 30th (Corner of 30th And Hickman).
- Magnolia Park Neighborhood: 6:00-8:00PM, South Union School (South Union and Leach.
Games, face painting, and an ice cream social.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Neighborhood: 6:00-8:00PM, MLK Jr. Park-1650 Garfield St.
Food and activities for the kids.
- Melbourne Apartments: 5:00-8:00PM, 5515 SE 14th Street.
Meredith Neighborhood Association: 6:00-8:00PM, Westchester Church- 4919 Aurora (Rear of the building)
- Merle Hay Neighborhood: 6:00- 8:00PM, Northwest Community Center, 5110 Franklin Avenue. Free food, games, door prizes, and a bounce house for the kids.
- North of Grand Neighbors: 6:00-8:00PM, Boesen the Florist- 3801 Ingersoll.
Kids bike and wagon parade at 5:50PM (38th and Woodland). Hot dogs, face painting, games, music.
- Oakridge Neighborhood: 5:30-8:00PM, 926 Oakridge Drive.
Basketball tournament begins at 5:30PM. Face painting, balloon sculptures and food. Inflatables and rock climbing wall for the kids.
- Oak Park Neighborhood: 6:00-8:00PM, McHenry Park, 1012 Oak Park.
Hamburgers, hot dogs, lemonade and pot luck.
- Park Winds Apartments: 5:00- 8:00PM, 3608 E Douglas.
- Prospect Park Neighborhood: 5:30-7:30PM, 2329 Hickman Rd. (Car wash parking lot)
Hot dogs, drinks, prizes, and a dance demonstration by the Capitol City Steppers.
- Salisbury Oaks Neighborhood: 5:30-8:00PM, Salisbury House- 4025 Tonawonda Drive.
Games, food from Palmers Deli and a pot luck.
- Sheridan Gardens Neighborhood: 6:00-8:00PM, Sheridan Methodist Church- 4100 E. Sheridan Ave.Picnic dinner, games, prizes and giveaways.
- Sherman Hill: 6:00-8:00PM at The Mickle Center (1620 Pleasant St.). Food and drinks. Kids activities.
- Somerset Apartments: 5:00-7:00PM, 6500 SE 5th St. Pizza party, outdoor activities and games.
- Southwestern Hills Neighborhood: 5:00-7:30PM, Wakonda Christian Church- Fleur Dr. and Watrous Ave. Free dinner, hamburgers, hot dogs, brats.
- South Park Neighborhood: 5:30-7:30PM, Jordan Park, 600 E Wall.
Games, prizes, pickleball lessons, hot dogs and ice cream.
- Union Park Neighborhood and Union Park United Methodist Church: 6:00-8:00 PM, Union Park United Methodist Church-2305 E 12th St. Hamburgers, hot dogs, music, games and prizes.
- Waterbury Neighborhood: 6:00-8:00PM, Polk Blvd. and Ingersoll Ave.
Food and games.
- Waveland Park Neighborhood: 5:30-7:00PM, Perkins Academy-4301 College Ave.
Food and ice cream.
- Waveland Woods Neighborhood: 6:00-8:30PM, Windsor School Playground (Or Gym If It Rains) 5912 University. Food, ice cream, yard games, basketball and face painting.
- Woodland Heights Neighborhood: 5:00-8:00PM, Chamberlain Park, 2150 Woodland Avenue. Barbeque with side dishes, drinks.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.