A Des Moines family got a surprise when they returned home from a fireworks display Saturday evening.
Police were called to a home on 2nd street after a resident said they found a stray bullet in their child's bed.
When the family arrived home that night they found damage to the ceiling in the kids room, they cleaned up the plaster on the floor, but when the kids went to bed they found a bullet on the mattress.
In investigation into how that bullet got there is underway. Incidents of individuals struck by stray bullets after people fired guns into the air for the Fourth of July have been reported across the country.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.