DES MOINES- Water Works Park has lost their second big event of the summer due to flooding in the park.
Ted Corrigan, the Chief Operating Officer for Water Works Park, said there’s usually only a flood every other year so this is unusual. The flood waters only reached 12’5” and not 14’3” like originally thought, but it was still enough to ruin the plans.
As of Wednesday at noon, the Hinterland Music Festival decided to move their concerts to St. Charles Avenue of the Saints Amphitheater. Production was setting up all day Thursday.
"We basically took 3 months of hard labor and planning and threw it in the garbage and re-drew everything in 3 hours and here we are," said Production Assistant Tom Zmolek, Hinterland Music Festival.
With the last minute move, they’re now offering free camping, free parking and even a free shuttle from Water Works Park to the new venue. While the shuttle is free for ticket holders, it’s coming at a $12,000 price for Hinterland. However, Hinterland is getting refunded around $13,000 from Water Works for the short notice move.
"When you move there’s always budgetary adjustments and that was in Plan B also. We’re not taking a bath on it, but if the concert had been canceled like the previous concert at Water Works, it would’ve been a major financial blow,” said Zmolek.
Corrigan says Water Works Park is working on upgrades like a new trail connector and a permanent event stage in hopes of combating the moving issues during minor flooding events.
"It’s disappointing losing two concerts in a row. That’s all the concerts we have in a year and for them both to get flooded out is disappointing. It’s not great for our reputation, but it’s a great space with a lot to offer and we hope people don’t give up on it,” said Corrigan.
For more information about the changes made to Hinterland Music Festival visit, http://hinterlandiowa.com/
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.