DES MOINES, Iowa — Hy-Vee is introducing a new employee discount program, according to a statement from a Hy-Vee representative.
The discount, which went into effect Wednesday, gives all Hy-Vee employees 10% off groceries and food service.
"We made a commitment to our employees to provide them a stronger and secure benefit, and we followed through on that commitment," said Hy-Vee spokesperson Nora Aigner-Davis in a statement to Local 5. "This is just one of the many benefits we offer our employees which also include:
- Weekly pay as a faster, more convenient way to receive a paycheck
- Mental health assistance
- A 401(k) plan with a matching contribution
- Holiday pay for retail employees
- Part-time insurance with an employer contribution based on eligibility
- Career development opportunities through Hy-Vee University
- Tuition assistance
- Childcare assistance".
The news comes almost three months after the grocery store chain suspended the program, claiming that multiple employees were abusing the discount.
At the time, Hy-Vee representatives told Local 5 they were hoping to relaunch the discount by mid-April.
While the company's website no longer lists details for the old employee discount program, an archived version of the page (August 2022) says employees received:
- 10% off on Hy-Vee purchases
- 20% off on dine-in orders at Wahlburgers and Market Grille
- A free Hy-Vee Plus membership
In addition, the old discount also allowed for employees to share their discount with one guest who lived at the same address.
Hy-Vee is Iowa's largest private employer, clocking in at 88,000 employees, according to Zippia.