DES MOINES, Iowa — Laurence C. Jones graduated from the University of Iowa in 1907 founded the Piney Woods Country Life School for Black students in Mississippi in 1909.
The school is still operating today and admits students from across the country and around the world.
Jones was awarded the Distinguished Alumni Service Award in 1967 by the University of Iowa.
Watch more Black History Month stories from Local 5 on YouTube
- Des Moines Civil and Human Rights Commission highlighting local Black leaders
- Remembering Pauline Humphrey, the first Black woman to own a beauty school in Iowa
- Celebrating Black Iowans: Dr. Edward Carter
- Black History Month: Steps Iowa has taken to end systemic racism, what Black leaders say still needs to be done
- Black History Month: How did it start, and why February?