DES MOINES – Many schools around central and southern Iowa have canceled classes for a second day in a row because of wintry weather conditions.
A current list of the closings can be found here.
Among the biggest, Des Moines Public Schools, West Des Moines, Waukee, Ankeny, and Southeast Polk are all closed for the day. Officials at DMPS originally delayed class for two hours on Wednesday, but at 7:20 a.m. canceled classes entirely.
Below is the announcement for parents and students at DMPS, the largest school district in the state:
- No classes will be held.
- No school-related activities.
- No breakfast or lunch service.
- All early-childhood and early-childhood special education programs will be closed.
- No Metro Kids child care programs.
- No evening and adult Community Education classes, including the use of school facilities by non-DMPS organizations..
This announcement means the following for school district employees:
- School offices and central administration offices will be open.
- All 12-month employees will report.
- Less-than-12-month employees do not report. These employees will be expected to provide service at a later date and their calendar year will be extended an additional day(s). An employee absent on the subsequently scheduled make-up day shall use appropriate leave benefits or will be deducted salary for absence.
- Food service staff will not report unless instructed to do so by a supervisor.
- Dismissal time of 12-month secretarial/clerical staff will be based upon the needs of the facility and will be determined by the employee’s immediate administrative supervisor.
- All other employees are to remain until dismissed by their administrative supervisor.