DES MOINES — Police have identified the victim in a suspicious death investigation.
23-year-old Marshal Aaron Terrell Johnson of Des Moines was identified through extensive forensic examination, according to the Des Moines Police Department.
Officers began investigating a suspicious death last week after human remains were found near SW 16th St and MLK Pkwy.
Detectives received information on about a possible death at a homeless camp in a wooded area south of the intersection. They quickly arrived at the scene to begin searching the area and discovered what they believed to be human remains in the area.
Police say they immediately contacted the Polk County Medical Examiner’s Office to assist with the investigation.
“There’s just some indications at the scene, that I really can’t get into the evidence too much, but there are circumstances at the scene that definitely indicate that this does not appear to be a natural death,” said Sgt. Paul Parizek with the Des Moines Police Department.
Police say the investigation is ongoing.
More Local News
- CenturyLink customers may have had data exposed in ‘security incident’
- Prosecutors: Cristhian Rivera wasn’t properly read Miranda rights the first time
- Iowa unemployment remain at 2.5%, 2nd lowest in US
- Former hospital chief executive pleads guilty to theft
- DCI identifies law enforcement personnel, suspect involved in overnight Stuart shooting