Popular downtown Des Moines restaurant closed after Sunday fire

News

(DES MOINES) – A Sunday morning fire caused damage to a popular restaurant.

“I don’t know what to do,” A-Dong owner Mrs. Ngu told Local 5 reporter Chris Oswalt. “ I love this place. That is why I don’t mind to work hard.

Crews were called to A-Dong at 1511 High Street around 8:15 a.m. when a pedestrian noticed the flames. Firefighters were able to quickly put out the fire, but the building suffered heavy smoke damage. No one in was in the restaurant at the time of the fire and there were no injuries reported.

“They had the fire knocked down in about 15 minutes and they left the scene around 10 this morning,” Des Moines Fire Captain Steve Brown said.

Officials believe a pan was left on the stove overnight and caused $100,000 in damage. A business attached to the building also suffered smoke damage.

“Everybody loves us and now it kind of like it broken hearts. The customer support us every day,” Mrs. Ngu said. “Some of them have come by and brought flowers. Thank you.”

The owners say they will be closed for about two-months.

©TEGNA Inc. 2019. All Rights Reserved.